On employing new staff a self-employed person/employer must fill in the Declaration of Commencement of Employment for every new person employed. In every case of new employment, the engagement form duly filled in is to be received by the Jobsplus on the same day of commencement of employment. This service is also offered at Business First.


If you are being employed for the first time then you will need:

  • Identification Card/Passport.
  • Your NI 3 (from the Department of Social Security for Maltese nationals only).
  • Non-EU nationals require an Employment Licence issued by the Jobsplus.
  • Persons born aboard but who possess a dual citizenship, need a certificate issued by the Department of Citizenship and Expatriates
  • Certain non-Maltese citizens require an Employment Licence before being employed. A full list of applications for employment of non-Maltese nationals may be viewed here.


When you start recruiting people you also have to submit an Employers Registration Form​.
After you have completed this application you will be given an employer’s PE Number, which you should quote on all FS4, FS5, FS3 and FS7 forms when you are required to send such forms to the Inland Revenue Department.


As an employer you are required to deduct FSS Tax and Social Security Contributions (SSC) from the employees’ wages or salaries. You will be given the relevant details from the Employment Section when you apply for the PE Number.


On completion of your employment registration with the Inland Revenue Department you are required to immediately send to the IRD an FS4 form for each person that you intend to employ.
When you deduct FSS Tax and Social Security Contributions (SSC) you need to submit the amounts due to the Department together with the FS5 form by the end of the following month.
All forms mentioned in this section are available from the CFR website​.


Advertising for staff, conducting interviews, drawing up short lists and finally appointing someone in the position can be a very time consuming process. You can do this on your own or use the services of a recruitment agency, however this can be costly. Jobsplus can help you find the right staff from the pool of people registering for employment. These would be people who either do not have employment or are looking to change their jobs and therefore can bring with them experience and knowledge.
Information about Definite Contracts of Service may be found here​.


The Vacancy Profiling Unit (VPU) within the Jobsplus was purposely setup to assist employers finding suitable candidates for their vacancies. For further information on the services offered click he​re​.


Joining the European Union in 2004, has facilitated the mobility of EU workers. This means that as an employer, you now have access to a much larger pool of workers than before.
One however, acknowledges that employing foreign nationals may not be as straight forward as one would like it to be. There are some inherent barriers like language and culture that make this process slightly harder than one envisages. For this reason, the European Union has purposely set up the European Employment Services, referred to as EURES. For further information on this service click here.


A 'Posted Worker in Malta' is an employee of a foreign undertaking who does not normally work in Malta but who, for a limited period of time, is sent by the foreign undertaking to work in Malta. In any case of a posting in Malta, the undertaking posting the worker to Malta is obliged to notify the Director of Industrial and Employment Relations (DIER) of its intention to post a worker to Malta. More information can be found in this link.​   The notification form can be found here.


Jobsplus is at present the entity that processes applications for the issue of employment licenses (previously known as work permits) with regards to foreign nationals to be employed in Malta. Jobsplus was delegated this responsibility in August 2005. For further information on guidelines for employing non-EU nationals click here.


Persons who have not attained the age of 16 or who turn 16 during the scholastic year (15th September to 16th July) are by law considered Minors of Compulsory School Age. These should provide the employer with a school leaving certificate obtainable directly from the Department of Educational Services, Triq Fra Gaetano Pace Forno, Hamrun. Applicants must present the following documents to obtain this certificate:
  1. a formal birth certificate from the Public Registry
  2. a declaration from the applicant’s employer to be
  3. a certificate from the school last attended
  4. a letter from the parents stating that they agree that their son/daughter is to start work.

For further details on legislation and regulations related to the employment of minors visit the Information for Employers section. All conditions also to cases related to summer jobs.


Jobsplus Access to Employment (A2E) Scheme provides employment aid to enterprises in Malta and Gozo to promote the recruitment of the more challenged amongst jobseekers and inactive people.

This scheme facilitates the integration of jobseekers and inactive people in the labour market by:

• Enhancing opportunities to access the labour market and providing work experience to those furthest away from gainful occupation;
• Bridging the gap between labour market supply and demand; and
• Increasing social cohesion.

The A2E Scheme is co-financed by the European Social Fund, the Maltese Government and Employers.


Apprenticeships are the key to a highly skilled workforce. Apprentices learn through a combination of on-the-job and off-the-job training. While on-the-job, they work with other people that already form part of your team. An apprenticeship gives you an opportunity to train prospective employees. On the other hand, off-the-job training is provided for these apprentices by vocational education and training institutions like MCAST or ITS. For further details on recruiting an apprentice click here.
last updated March 2022


Skip to content